New road toll system in Poland: e-TOLL
What is e-TOLL?
The e-TOLL system is a solution based on satellite positioning technology launched on June 24, 2021.
It is used for electronic toll collection on selected sections of motorways, expressways and national roads managed by the GDDKiA (General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways).
It replaces the current viaTOLL system, which will be definitely switched off on September 30, 2021.
Who are the intended users of e-TOLL?
You are required to pay e-tolls for driving on toll roads if your drive:
• a vehicle or a combination of vehicles with a maximum permissible weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes
• a bus of any maximum permissible weight, with +9 seats
How to use e-TOLL ?
- Select how your geolocation data will be transmitted
You can choose from:
• e-TOLL PL Mobile app – downloadable for free from Google Play or AppStore.
• OBU on-board unit – you can buy it at a Customer Service Point or in one of the OBU operators’ distribution network.
• External Localization System (ZSL) make sure the ZSL system installed in your vehicle will be compatible with e-TOLL.
- Specify the method of payment for your journeys :
• Prepaid Account you will make a prepayment to your account during registration, so that the account will be debited on an ongoing basis for driving on toll roads.
• Postpaid Account with Collateral : you will establish collateral on your account in the form of a cash deposit, guarantee or surety. Until the account is confirmed, you can use e-TOLL in prepaid mode.
• Postpaid Account without Collateral with eurotoll
Rates are calculated based on the following factors:
- The driving distance in kilometers
- The type of the road used
- The weight of the vehicle
- The EURO emission standard
Control and penalties:
The penalty flat rate can be no more than 750 € (3000 PLN). Its value depends on the type of infringement. Any problems must be handled immediately by the driver, or otherwise the vehicle may be stopped. Controls are performed by police officers and/or road transport inspectors.