The road toll system in Italy:
The road toll network in Italy works through OBUs interacting with remote antennas when passing through toll stations. This dialogue triggers a transaction that is then transmitted by the concessionaire to eurotoll to be charged .
For driving in Italy, you have two options:
- If you are using the system on a casual basis:
+ the Viacard will allow you for settling road tolls at all Italian toll payment stations.
- If you are a regular user:
+ The Telepass vehicle box will provide you with automatic opening option for the toll gates. Your drivers will not lose time any more. Each vehicle must be equipped with its own vehicle box.
The amount of the road toll shall be calculated based on the following factors:
- The driving distance in kilometers
- The height of the vehicle
- A Class : < 1,3m (light vehicles)
- B Class : > 1,3 m (Heavy Goods)
- The number of axles of the heavy goods vehicle. (3-4-5 or more)